When it comes to healthy food, everyone thinks of eating fish. Fish is a protein and low-caloric food which has a number of health factors.
Tilapia is one of the cheapest and most popular fish nowadays, but in fact it can lead to many serious health problems.
Here are some reasons why you should not eat tilapia:
- Studies have found that tilapia grown in farms may cause inflammation. Tilapia can worsen the inflammation that can lead to arthritis, heart diseases, asthma and other health problems. People are eating more fish to intake more omega-3 fatty acids and reduce the risk of heart attacks, but tilapia is a fish that you should intake as rare as you can.
- Farmed fish can cause cancer 10 times more in comparison to the wild variety. The main ingredients farmers use for its breeding include: pork, duck and chicken waste.
- 3. The omega-3 fatty acids found in farmed fish are less useful for our bodies compared to the ones found in wild fish. Farmed fish have a lower protein content and a greater concentration of omega-6 acids. If you take too much omega-3 and omega-6 acids, it can cause inflammation in the body.
- The oxide dibutyltin, a chemical used in PVC plastic is said to be 6 times higher in rural areas compared to wild fish. Dibutyltin may be the main reason for the increase of asthma, allergies and other metabolic disorders in recent years.
- The levels of dioxin in fish from farms are 11 times higher compared to wild fish. Dioxin is a toxic substance that can cause cancer as well as other complications. The problem is that when it enters our system you need a very long time to get rid of it. Dioxin can live from 7 to 11 years.
The most important lesson that we can learn from this is that we need to find out where the fish comes before we buy it, because as we can see not all fish are grown equally. They can hurt us more rather than do good.